Prior to being admitted to the Bar in 1981, John had a career in local government for 25 years and was a Town Clerk for approximately 13 years. In 2005, John left practise as a Barrister and joined Ritchie & Castellan as General Counsel. As a result, he provides an invaluable in-house advocacy service for our clients in all jurisdictions in New South Wales and Federally and in particular, the Land and Environment Court.
John’s practice has been fairly wide spread and has covered the following:-
- appeared as an advocate in all jurisdictions in New South Wales;
- appearances in the NSW Court of Appeal;
- appearances in the High Court;
- developed a substantial practice in local government and the Land and Environment Court involving planning and development appeals, enforcement of and appeals from Council orders, judicial review, land acquisition compensation, prosecution and defence for environmental offences;
- building and construction litigation in the Supreme Court, District Court and CTTT;
- equity matters involving property disputes and contracts;
- common law claims for personal injuries;
- commercial litigation in relation to breach of commercial contracts;
- negligence claims for breach of statutory duty and duty of care;
- specialisation in contempt proceedings.
He has advised extensively over the 27 year period on all of the above areas of practice. In doing so, John has advised and acted regularly for many local councils in New South Wales and private clients.
From 1996-2005 John sat as an arbitrator in the District Court in thePhiladelphia and General Commercial Lists. In addition, he is accredited as an arbitrator with the Institute of Mediators & Arbitrators Australia and a member of the Law Society of New South Wales.
|Phone:||(02) 9634 2717|
|Fax:||(02) 9680 3074|
|Mobile:||0438 161 138|